Answer: Yes, oxen do walk faster than horses! ETS and his traveling companions thought they were getting a great deal on the prairies in Manitoba by trading their horses for oxen. Read Chapter XXI “The Land of My Dreams” in Trail of an Artist-Naturalist to learn more about their trip.
Ernest Thompson Seton was...
- An author of more than 40 books and countless articles in major magazines
- A popular lecturer
- An artist with particular skill in depicting wildlife, including both birds and mammals
- A naturalist who studied animals extensively, producing the classic work, Lives of Game Animals, essentially an eight-volume illustrated encyclopedia covering nearly every wild animal in North America
- A well-known advocate of Native American rights
- The founder of the Woodcraft League, also known as Woodcraft Indians and Seton Indians
- A cofounder of the Boy Scouts of America and a key figure in the history of Scouting world-wide
- A fascinating and enigmatic character with a wide range of interests and talents
Seton's philosophy of respect for both nature and humanity made him a pioneer of the environmental movement, inspiring generations of leaders.
Membership in the Ernest Thompson Seton Institute is now open to everyone interested in the environment, youth education, respecting others’ cultures, and preserving our natural resources. As a member, you will join a diverse network of people who share these concerns, values promoted by Ernest Thompson Seton.
You are invited to become an inaugural me,mber of the Ernest Thomopson Seton Institute.
SETON Trivia Challenge
Trivia questions are posted weekly on our Facebook page. Answers aree posted here.
The standard formation for several planes flying together is a “V” formation which is used by migrating geese. Find the question on Face Book at https://www.facebook.com/etsetoninstitute.
Dr. William Brodie advised his son and ETS to keep a daily journal on their travels. Seton took the advice to heart, keeping his for over 65 years! ETS advised others, “Write of each event on the day that it happened. Do not trust your memory. Let every page have a place and date in … Read more
From Our Blog
Seton said, “In our search for the ideal outdoor life, we cannot do better than indigenous peoples with their reverence and carefully cultured physique, as a model for the making of adults, and as a pattern for our youth who would achieve adulthood with the added graces of courtesy, honor, and truth.” –from “Spartans … Read more